↑ top

Financial Aid and Scholarships

Taubman College is committed to making quality education affordable and achievable to all students.

Additional funding and scholarships vary by degree. Please check the supporting links to understand the financial aid and scholarship opportunities available for each degree.

Incoming Merit-Based Scholarships

Bachelor of Science in Urban Technology Students

Incoming Urban Technology students are eligible for Taubman College merit-based scholarship awards; your undergraduate application for admission to the school is the application for these awards. Admitted applicants are notified of their merit award in their admission letter. 

Master of Urban and Regional Planning Students

Incoming Master of Urban and Regional Planning students are eligible for Taubman College merit-based scholarship awards; your application to the school is the application for these awards. The criteria used for awarding scholarships include the applicant's prior academic accomplishments; the applicant's potential to contribute to the Urban and Regional Planning program through coursework and extracurricular activities based on his/her life and work experiences; and the applicant's potential to complete the program successfully and contribute to the planning profession based on his/her stated interests and career goals. Admitted applicants are notified of their merit award in their admission letter. Scholarships can range from $5000 to full tuition. About one-third to one-half of Master of Urban and Regional Planning students receive a scholarship. Scholarships are possible because of our generous alumni and friends of Taubman College. Because financial resources are limited, applicants are encouraged to seek out other sources of funding as well. Below is a list to assist you in identifying funding sources to pursue.

The Urban and Regional Planning program currently does not award continuing student scholarships, beyond awards made at admission to the program.

Transformative Food Systems Fellowships

The newly established Transformative Food Systems (TFS) Fellowship is available to underrepresented students interested in studying food systems. Taubman College is looking for MURP students to serve as  TFS Fellows and receive $85,000 (stipend and scholarship) over the course of their two-year program. For full eligibility requirements, additional information, and to apply, please visit the TFS Fellowship website.


Rackham distributes more than $50 million in funding to graduate students each year. About three-fourths of that is allocated to graduate programs to support students’ funding packages. The other roughly 25 percent is distributed through Rackham-administered fellowship and grant competitions. Students can apply directly for some of these awards, while others require a nomination from your graduate program. Visit the Rackham funding page for information and application deadlines.


Federal Financial Aid Awards (FAFSA)

The University of Michigan Office of Financial Aid administers federal loan and work-study programs for graduate students. You must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-U.S. citizen (permanent resident with alien registration card). You do not need to be admitted to the University before submitting the FAFSA.

To apply for financial aid for Fall/Winter, complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) between October 1 and March 31. Although you may submit the FAFSA later, early application is strongly advised and ensures you will be considered for all aid for which you are eligible. Be sure to list the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (Federal School Code number 002325).

See the Office of Financial Aid about the various types of aid available, or download a Graduate Student Financial Aid Programs flier here (PDF).

  • Work-Study and Other Jobs: Students who work during the summers and during the academic year can make a significant contribution toward meeting their college costs. And having a job while in school may help prepare students for life after college as well. Both Work-Study and non-Work-Study jobs are available on the U-M campus and in the surrounding communities, and the Student Employment Office serves all students, whether or not they qualify for Work-Study employment.

    A Federal Work-Study award is an award that allows a student to work for eligible employers on and off campus to earn money to pay for school. A student must be hired for a work-study job through the Student Employment Office and earn wages up to the specified award amount. Work Study employees are paid directly by their employer; the wages earned are NOT automatically applied towards tuition. It is the student's responsibility to manage their earnings accordingly. Work-study positions are made available through the program as hourly research assistants or administrative assistant positions. Incoming and returning students are notified of any positions available at the start of the fall term.

  • Private Loans: There are private loan options for students, such as a CitiAssist loan, a Signature loan from Sallie Mae, or an MI-LOAN. Please visit the Office of Financial Aid website for detailed information.


Financial Aid FAQs

Is there funding available from Taubman College?
Incoming students are eligible for Taubman College merit-based scholarship awards; your application to the school is your application to these awards. Merit-based scholarship decisions are made by the program chair based on recommendations from the admissions committee; admitted applicants are notified of their merit awards in their Taubman College admission letter.

Am I eligible for Federal Financial Aid?
If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you should complete the FAFSA. This process determines your eligibility for federal loans and work-study.

Does Taubman College review my FAFSA?
No - all FAFSA materials are submitted and reviewed at the U-M Office of Financial Aid (OFA). OFA creates your U-M financial aid package and posts your aid on your student account as seen through Wolverine Access.

Will my financial aid package be affected if I'm registered less than full-time status when the tuition bill is due?
The Office of Financial Aid packages all incoming graduate students' financial aid assuming one will be a full-time student. The Registrar's Office / Student Financial Operations office sets the part or full-time student status and tuition due dates.

What about teaching assistantships and other campus jobs?

Taubman College hires around 30 GSIs each year. Taubman College students enter our program with a variety of academic and professional backgrounds; hence, our students are eligible to teach in other departments within the UM system. Contact the department you are interested in working with for more specifics. You may also want to search the UM Student Employment website for other campus jobs.

Is there funding for Taubman College student groups?
Campus Involvement provides a list of a variety of offices and departments on campus that are willing to help fund student organization-sponsored events. Registered UM Taubman College student groups, have funds available, thanks to our generous alumni donors!.

Other useful links


Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) Positions

All Taubman College graduate students are eligible for a Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) position after their first fall term at Michigan. The number of positions that is available depends on the programs' teaching needs for the particular term. GSI positions are very competitive. The criteria used to award GSI appointments for the Urban and Regional Planning Program include program teaching needs and applicant qualifications to meet those needs based on academic accomplishment, coursework completed, and prior professional work experience. Typically, a GSI position would cover 100% tuition, and provide a monthly stipend and health benefits during the term of appointment. Most Urban and Regional Planning GSIships are committed to doctoral students in the program, although several positions are typically made for MURP students each term.



Federal regulations and U-M policy limit the types of financial assistance available to international students. International students are not eligible for U.S. need-based federal financial aid. Taubman College has limited funding opportunities for international students. Your application to our school also serves as your application for our departmental awards. These are competitive, merit-based awards. In addition, some donor awards have specific applicant criteria. Applicants are notified of these awards in the letter of admission.

Additional funding resources for international students:


Segal AmeriCorps Education Award

Learn more about the education award match offered by Taubman College.

Plan Your Future
Housing, Community, and Economic Development
Land Use and Environmental Planning
Physical Planning and Design
Transportation Planning
Global and Comparative Planning