Urban and Regional Planning Department Featured on AnnArbor.com for Willow Run area collaboration
An initiative lead by the Urban and Regional Planning department grabbed headlines this morning after students presented their proposals to community leaders, residents, and local officials regarding the future of the former GM Powertrain Plant Facility and the Willow Run Airport.
The initiative, Michigan's Engaging Community through the Classroom (MECC) is a collaborative effort between Taubman College's Urban and Regional Planning department, Ford School of Public Policy, School of Public Health, and the College of Engineering which seeks to explore and advance classroom-community collaboration - a concept that fits the University's mission to integrate research, teaching, and public service in innovative ways.
This term's collaboration focused on Willow Run and a range of governance, economic development, and neighborhood issues surrounding the future of the former GM Powertrain Plant Facility and the Willow Run Airport.
Taubman College students Cole Gehler (MUP'13) and Julie Cprek (MUP'13) were both quoted in the article. To view the article, and to learn more about the student's ideas, read the story on AnnArbor.com
Richard Norton, Chair of the Urban and Regional Planning Program (URP), has convened and facilitated the larger MECC initiative. Paul Fontaine, Lecturer for UPR, is the lead organizer and coordinator for the kick-off Willow Run Winter 2013 Initiative. The units involved with this initial effort (key faculty/staff) include:
- Urban and Regional Planning Program, Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning (Richard Norton, Maria Arquero, Paul Fontaine)
- Ford School of Public Policy (Elisabeth Gerber, David Harding)
- School of Public Health (Trish Koman)
- College of Engineering (Gail Hohner, Chris Gordon)
- Office of University Development (Maureen Martin)
- Office of the Vice President for Research (Marvin Parnes)
- Office of Government Relations (Jim Kosteva)
Participating Community Partners, Willow Run:
- Washtenaw County
- City of Ypsilanti
- Ypsilanti Township
- Racer Trust
- Willow Run Airport
- North Willow Run Neighborhood Association