The M.Arch./M.B.A. dual degree is a formally structured dual degree enabling a small number of qualified students to pursue concurrent work in architecture and business administration. The program combines the two-year/60 credit hour or three-year/105 credit hour M.Arch. degree with the two-year/57 credit hour M.B.A. degree resulting in a three-year/90 credit hour or four-year/135 credit hour program.
Course of Study
The 2-year M.Arch/M.B.A. program is arranged so that all requirements are completed in three years of enrollment. The 3-year M.Arch./M.B.A. program will take 4 years to complete. 27 credit hours can be double counted. The degrees are awarded simultaneously.
Students in the Joint Degree M.Arch/M.B.A. degree must complete a minimum of 90 credit hours, including a minimum of:
60 credit hours in Taubman College (cannot include transfer credit or work experience) including:
- 24 credit hours of architectural design (Arch 552, Arch 562, Arch 662, and Arch 672)
- Seven courses (21 credit hours) of specific required architecture courses (Arch 515 – Sustainable Systems, Arch 516—Architectural Representation, Arch 527 – Integrative Systems, Arch 537 – Fabrication, Arch 572—Architectural Theory and Criticism, Arch 583—Professional Practice, and Arch 660—Thesis Development Seminar)
- 15 credit hours of transferable electives from the Ross School of Business
57 credit hours in the Ross School of Business, including:
- 30 credit hour M.B.A. core (no credit is awarded for Business Administration core courses successfully waived; credit must be earned with Business electives
- 15 elective credit hours in Business Administration
- 12 credit hours of transferable electives from Taubman College
To be eligible for the dual 2-year M.Arch./M.B.A. degree, a student must hold a B.S. degree from Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning or an equivalent degree earned at another institution. Graduate students enrolled in the 3-year option must complete all required 300 and 400 level course work before applying to the dual M.Arch./M.B.A. program. Two complete and separate applications are necessary, one to Taubman College for the Master of Architecture and one to the Ross School of Business for the Master of Business Administration degree. An application fee is required for both programs. Each program will make an admission decision independently of the other. Only if both programs approve admission is the applicant considered a dual degree student.
Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning
Graduate M.Arch Admissions
2000 Bonisteel Blvd. Room 2150
Phone: (734) 764-1300
Stephen M. Ross School of Business
701 Tappan Street
Phone: (734) 647-2558